Sunday, December 19, 2010

Thirty-Five - Learning a New Skill

Guthrie and I decided that we could save money and become more sustainable if we learned new skills.

Laura - Knitting

My mitten!
I started a knitting class at the Yarnery that I LOVE! Well, let me back up. I asked my mother, a knitter, to reteach me. That last time I knitted
was over ten years ago and it was a scarf that was never finished (it was definitely not
rectangular!). My mother showed me how to knit a basic scarf, and I was instantly hooked.
Plus, I was so happy when I could give it to Guthrie, who was in the market for another
scarf. Despite start up costs (needles), it was cheaper for me to make it. The class is great!
I am learning how to make mittens -- casting on, knitting, purling, adding, decreasing, spit-
splicing, sewing, different stitch patterns, reading a pattern, the works! I am pumped for my
next projects - fingerless mittens, leg warmers, a new scarf for me (definitely in need since
moving back to MN!), birthday gifts, Christmas gifts, all hand-made by me. Now if only I had
a sheep and was able to make my own yarn... :)

Guthrie - Home Brewing
I started thinking about all of the tasty beer I have had over the years and how I don't have a clue as to how to make beer. I decided that learning how to brew my own beer will not only be cost effective in the long run and more environmentally friendly than buying my beer elsewhere all the time, but will enhance my appreciation of good beer. I hope to one day grow my own hops to make my new skill an even more enviro friendly one. As soon as I get a brew kettle I will be starting!

No comments:

Post a Comment