Sunday, October 31, 2010

Twenty-Eight - Duvet Cover and my attempts at sewing

Guthrie and I received a wonderful organic down comforter my from aunt as a wedding gift--something we really need now that we are back in Minnesota! As the weather gets colder and we see how long we can manage without heat, we decided to put it on the bed. First, though, we needed a cover. They can be expensive, and I thought -- I could make one! I asked my mom for a set of king sized sheets since the cover is a queen. I also borrowed her sewing machine. It turned out to be much harder than I thought--the fitted sheet ended up being a lot smaller and so I had to get created and sew it in pieces. All was going well, but at the end I got the thing flipped inside-out (well, right-side-in) and so one of the seams is on the nice side. Oh well, it is totally functional though it won't be in any Martha Stewart catalogue (you can see the seam still out on the right side of the photo). There's a flap on the underside where we stuffed in the comforter. If I actually sewed a little nicer I would go through the trouble of getting some iron on velcro to help keep the flap closed. Yea for up-cycling! Since I really just started to sew, I'm pretty proud. :)

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment