Friday, June 11, 2010

Three - Farmers Markets

My new Saturday routine - bike with Guthrie to pick up Aaron, and then heading over to the Midtown Farmers Market. I love getting to know the people who grow my food and often times the farmers who contribute to the co-ops are there as well. Farmer's markets are really expanding making it an event--a full on shopping experience. This Saturday, Guthrie and I will arrive early and eat breakfast, have wonderful organic tea and coffee, buy our herbs and plants for the modest garden we will have this summer, and enjoy the people watching. Last week, Aaron went back and forth with a sheep farmer until he tossed Aaron a small package of lamb chops and told him to grill them up and come back to buy more once he realizes how yummy they are. Last night, I had lamb for the first time and felt wonderful about it knowing that I go visit the farmer tomorrow and tell him how it tasted. (Though I don't know if I will ever have lamb again--it's a lot like steak, and I just don't miss that).

There are too many to list -- but find the farmers market near you here.

Are you free on Tuesday afternoon, Saturday morning, or even Sunday morning for Kingfield? Let me know and I will join you!

Another thing that many people don't know is that you can use EBT/Food Stamps at farmers markets During the AmeriYears, I didn't even know this! It is also great because the system is set up to accept EBT as well as major credit cards like Visa and MasterCard. You buy tokens in $5 increments and use it like cash. The farmers will give you cash back if there is change.

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment