Saturday, March 12, 2011

Forty-Seven - Eye Glasses Donation

I have been wearing glasses since I was 2 years old and have gone through at least 10 pairs since then (maybe more if what my mother says about my abhorrence of glasses as a child is really true). And now that Laura has gotten into the eyeglass wearing business, we know that we will each be accumulating pairs of old glasses in the closet with nothing for them to do. Well, Laura and I love to donate. We donate our time to BBBS and our Little, we donate many household items to Goodwill, Savers and Salvation Army every turn of the season and we donate our time time to community activities. Laura had the wonderful idea that we should donate one of the two pairs of my glasses that have been in the closet with nothing to do for a long time (leaving one pair as backup). I was on board. Now, I have some thick glasses for those of you who know me so I really hope my pair will find their way into the hands and on the face of someone with a similar affliction as mine. Don't believe me? See the picture below!



Laura did some searching and found out that most any eyeglass retailers including as LensCrafters, Pearle, Target Optical and many local optometrists have contracted with One Sight, a family of charitable vision care programs dedicated to improving vision through outreach, research and education since 1988, to offer lightly used glasses to those in need around the world. In fact, they have provided free vision care and eyewear to over 7 million folks worldwide through their global and regional clinics (various U.S. locations including Mpls and ATL) since their inception. They even accept and give away non-prescription sunglasses, so all you ladies sick of those big-ass sunglasses or all you men sick of those Top Gun look-alikes, give 'em away to a good cause.

Laura and I have decided to go to a nearby Pearle Vision retailer next week to donate a pair of my glasses. We feel good knowing that we can donate yet another thing of ours that someone else needs more us. We hope you do the same! Click here for participating retailers in your area. Remember, they have to be lightly used!

Best!

Guthrie (& Laura)

No comments:

Post a Comment