Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thirty-One - Green Gifting

Since getting older, buying gifts for my family members has been getting harder. As adults, if we really want something, we buy for ourselves. We don't put it on our Christmas or birthday list and hope for the best. Instead of buying something we kind of want and wrapping it all up, I asked my family if we would rather pool our money for something more meaningful. My sister suggested we instead pay for an experience -- a Twins game for all of us. (yea!)

The topic of this blog is green gifting. It can mean anything from the example above to donating to a friends' favorite charity on their behalf. This is a particularly good idea for one's birthday. Try hosting a party, but ask for a donating for a charity. It is so easy to set these up online and Facebook makes it easy too. I see it happening more and more, and like how it takes the focus away from "stuff" and places it either on a charity or providing a family with some quality time together. Christmas is my favorite holiday; I love the spirit of giving. I think we need to seize these opportunities to give not just things, but to give our time and resources to people--something that truly matters. 

Cards -- remember the earlier post -- try using ecards (Pingg makes it easy to upload your own picture and are professional learning) or cards made from recycled paper. 

Happy holidays! Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment